Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Stopping and Restarting

I obviously wasn't able to overcome my fear and write on this blog. But I hope to restart, and I need to just write. I had plans on writing about experiencing this last year with my son, who should be going off to college this fall. He will go to college still, but unfortunately, it may be community college.

After 23 years, 10 months, I was laid off from my job as a senior editor because the company is having financial difficulties. While I think my layoff was shortsighted, it was their decision to make. That doesn't mean I'm not angry, because I am. I'm angry they didn't value my department (which in essence they killed off) and my work. The company sent out a memo after this round of layoffs thanking the remaining people for their continuing loyalty. I think this may make me most angry. Loyalty is not usually a one-way street.

But enough about them. I think right now this blog will be about trying to redefining myself in the job market. I love editing, I love working with words, I love creating a book or magazine with other creative people. It is my life's blood. It makes me happy.

I'm pretty old, and looking for a new job is scary. And I haven't done it for almost 24 years! I don't want to be judged by my age, but I know it will happen. So much to think about, so much to write about.

I will be trying to write blog posts more frequently. If nothing else, it's practice writing and killing some fear while I'm at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment